Thursday, May 14, 2020

When in Doubt, Start a War!

This blog is about the power and fun of being a discovery writer.  That sounds so much better than being a pantster, don’t you think?  A few days ago in my current project, I started a war.  The war I started is between two equally disagreeable and disgusting opponents; the jesoids and the Nukisharans.  For the Nukisharans, I created their religion from my experiences with two particularly annoying religions, the Hari Krishnas, and the Scientologists.  

I had gotten to a certain point in my book where I was wondering what to write next.  I had a love affair brewing between my main character and the captain of the other ship, the GFSS Athas accompanying the GFSS Albatross in its travels in the Andromeda galaxy.  I  don’t want the relationship to go too smoothly and easily because where’s the fun in reading about that?  I had a character who thought herself a viable rival for Lorin’s affections.  But the reality is somewhat different.  I got an idea from watching the first episode of Netflix’s Medici  about an unwanted boy who keeps escaping death at the hands of his mother’s murderers, and turned it into a story about a boy infant who is  rejected by his mother who only wanted him as a tool to create a bond between herself and Lorin.  But her plot is foiled when he is adopted by her rival and Lorin.  

I’m tossing some ideas  around in my head for bringing the war to the quiet back water world the two ships are in orbit around.  This morning I had two representatives of the warring faiths fighting when my main characters come along pushing their hover stroller, and the two quickly turn their attention to trying to ensnare this couple with their competing brands of snake oil.  

Now I’m thinking for some more conflict, the girl who ordered the MC’s baby should come back into the picture and try to claim him.  I think she is still trying to dig her claws into Lorin, who is not at all interested in her, and fully committed to Tammy.   

Read, read and read some more!  I can’t understand why someone who isn’t already a bookwyrm would want to write.  See you next week!

No comments: